• Twitter Social Icon
  • Facebook Social Icon
Send Us a Message

--------------------------- March 13 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OFFICIAL LETTER OF POSTPONEMENT: click here

NATSA has made the difficult decision to postpone our 2020 conference in Irvine, California, to late May of 2021 in the same location. The decision to not meet in May, 2020 in Irvine is based on recommended measures to protect against COVID-19. For example, the State of California has declared a state of emergency, so had the University of California-Irvine made public announcement to ban gathering of more than 100 people. The primary rationales behind our postponement decision is to ensure our community’s safety and to not create additional burden in the wake of an urgent public health concern.

 

We recognized that the timing of this decision might be of inconvenience for some; we apologize and also ask for your understanding that we have been operating under the most effective rate given the many concerns we had to consider. Your registration to our 2020 conference will be fully refunded, if we can assist you with any other reimbursements, please contact our secretary (secretary@na-tsa.org). We will also appreciate if you decline our refund, which will offset some of the financial setback we experience. We thank you for your understanding and appreciate your cooperation in face of this unfortunate COVID-19 pandemic.

 

For all accepted presenters and invited scholars, our default is to reserve your commitment to next year. Our conference “Keywording Taiwan” will still be held at the University of California-Irvine, in late May with specific dates to be announced. We also understand if you can no longer join us given the postponement. Your moderator will email you directly inquiring whether you wish to drop or reserve your presentation.

 

Thank you again for your understanding. You may direct any concerns regarding this decision to the current NATSA president at d.hsieh@uci.edu    

--------------------------- March 09 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The NATSA reception at 2020 AAS (Association for Asian Studies) is officially cancelled due to the cancellation of the AAS conference and the concern for COVID-19 outbreak in the Boston area. We were very downhearted to make this decision, as we were anticipating great scholarly exchanges to emerge from the reception. Our first priority is the safety of NATSA community members and after some assessment, we deemed the reception to be too risky given its format and location. 

 

While the NATSA reception at AAS is cancelled, we are still in discussion about the NATSA 2020 conference to be held in UC-Irvine in May 22-24. If you have any questions or comments about how COVID-19 is affecting the NATSA conference, please contact Diane Hsieh at d.hsieh@uci.edu

 

Thank you for your understanding and best regards!

--------------------------- March 07 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Updates from NATSA due to the concern of COVID-19

 

The NATSA Planning Team is fully aware that California has declared a coronavirus emergency recently. We are still in discussion about the NATSA 2020 conference to be held in UC-Irvine on May 22-24, and will update the website if any new decision is made.

  • At this point, we strongly encourage participants to not buy flight tickets to and from Irvine as many carriers are still unclear regarding their refund policy due to the COVID-19 outbreak.

  • In the event to still host the NATSA 2020 conference as planned, the NATSA local team has prepared hand sanitizers. NATSA will not distribute face masks, although we will have a limited number of masks on site for emergency use. 

  • In the event to postpone the NATSA 2020 conference, we are currently surveying possible times. 

  • In the event to move the NATSA 2020 conference online, we are currently exploring the most effective technology to do so. 

A survey regarding NATSA accommodation to all accepted presenters and invited scholars could be accessed here: http://tinyurl.com/natsa20covid 


In the meantime, please direct any questions or concerns you have to Diane Hsieh at d.hsieh@uci.edu

--------------------------- March  04-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear all, 

 

I am Diane Hsieh, the current NATSA president, and I am writing to update what NATSA is planning in response to the growing concern for COVID-19. Foremostly, at this point, the NATSA 2020 conference will be held as planned (May 22-24 at the University of California-Irvine). We are discussing potentially rescheduling the conference to winter of 2020 if the situation in Southern California were to worsen in April. The following factors, ranked in order, are prioritized in informing our decision:

  • To ensure the(physical and psychological) safety of various NATSA stakeholders

  • To maintain the intellectual quality of the NATSA conference

  • To ensure the effort put into by the program committee and local planning team will be realized and recognized 

  • To minimize NATSA’s financial loss 

 

Please know that NATSA is paying close attention to updates on COVID-19. We are in communication with EATS (European Association for Taiwan Studies) as their conference is also upcoming, and we are also following other related conferences (e,g., AAS) to see how they respond. I want to make sure members of the NATSA community can effectively voice their comments/concerns, so, from now on, please send feedback if you have any to me at d.hsieh@uci.edu

 

We will be providing more updates, meaning that this page (https://www.na-tsa.org/natsa-statement-on) will be constantly updated. 

Thank you so much for your understanding, and keep in contact. We look forward to seeing you in Irvine!

Diane 


 

各位好,

 

我是 NATSA 今年的會長謝大洋 Diane,我想藉由此信向各位解釋 NATSA 目前對於 COVID-19 疫情做出的應對。首先,目前研討會將依計畫如期舉行(五月二十二至二十四日於加州大學爾灣分校)。若北美或者是南加州地區於四月宣布疫情告急,我們將會正式寄出會議延期公告,籌辦團隊也將做好將年會延期到冬季的準備。我們的優先考量為:
 

  • 尊重並保護 NATSA 與會者的(生理與心理)健康

  • 維護年會的品質

  • 確保籌辦人力資源做最好的發揮

  • 減少主辦方與參與者經費上的損失
     

此外,由於歐洲台灣研究學會(EATS)也將於四月舉辦年度會議,我們正密切與其商討會議事宜,並同時關注其他相關組織對疫情之應對方式。我希望每一位關心 NATSA 的人都有同樣的機會加入這個對話,所以若您有任何跟疫情相關的建議,歡迎直接聯繫我 (d.hsieh@uci.edu)。

 

年會的籌辦規劃,以及與疫情相關的消息將會第一時間於網站更新:https://www.na-tsa.org/natsa-statement-on

謝謝您的合作與體諒,我們期待在五月的會議與您相見!

 

Diane 


 

 

---------------------------  Feb 24 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear all, 

 

As NATSA is paying close attention to the global concern of COVID-19, the NATSA 2020 conference will be held as planned at this point (May 22-24 at the University of California-Irvine). We would like to provide appropriate accommodation as needed. If you expect your attendance to be affected, please let us know at your earliest convenience. 

 

Your registration would be fully refunded if you have to cancel it due to the following reasons:

  • You are departing from a country that the U.S. Department of State listed as travel advisory level 2 (exercise increased caution) - 4 (do not travel) due to the outbreak of COVID-19. The most updated listing could be found here.

  • The U.S. is listed as watch, alert, or warning level regarding COVID-19 by your departure country. 

  • Your flight is significantly changed due to the COVID-19 outbreak. 

  • You have schedule conflict due to consequences of COVID-19 outbreak; e.g., delay in the start of school.

Please be advised that it is difficult to buy face masks in Irvine, attendees are encouraged to bring their face masks if they deem to need one. 

 

Please direct any questions you may have regarding this to the NATSA secretary at secretary@na-tsa.org

 

Thank you so much for your understanding, and keep in contact. We look forward to seeing you in Irvine!


 

學者們好,

 

本學會持續關注 COVID-19 疫情,目前研討會將依計畫如期舉行(五月二十二至二十四日於加州大學爾灣分校)。學會將配合防疫,提供參加學者適當的協助。若您的行程因疫情而有所調整,或因此無法參加本次的研討會,請盡快聯繫與我們聯繫,我們將協助您完成後續事宜。

 

若您因以下之因素無法參加本次的研討會,我們將全額退還註冊費:

  • 您的出發地、預計轉機地點被美國國土安全部列入二至四級旅遊警戒區、禁飛名單、強制隔離區等。最新資訊請參考此處

  • 您的出發地將美國列為旅遊警戒區。

  • 您的班機因減班或停飛而無法於預定時間內抵達。

  • 您所屬的大專院校延後開學,因而學期規劃受影響。

 

若您預計在 5/22-24 會議入境美國之前至其他國家旅行,也請密切注意美國土安全部之入境政策與限制。

 

此外,目前美國加州爾灣地區口罩供應緊缺,若有需求,請於出發地購買並攜帶至此地。

 

謝謝您的合作與體諒,NATSA也會密切關注疫情的發展。若有任何疑問,請聯繫 NATSA 秘書(secretary@na-tsa.org),我們期待在五月的會議與您相見!